Monday, May 13, 2024

Remembering Mom

 Friday May 3 marked the anniversary of Mom’s departure from the planet in 2021.  I have trouble registering that three years have passed.  I often think "oh, I should call Mama.” or “I should tell Mom about that.”  My dead family don’t seem so distant as I think would be true and yet I know they are no longer here.  I sometimes wonder if I am unfeeling because I do not ‘miss them’ more.  Indeed a puzzle.  Mama’s voice continues to be present—I have many recordings of her on my phone and videos taken of her telling stories or singing songs or laughing.  One or another of my siblings will occasionally surface some new piece of her writing from a keepsake box or packet of letters. Now that am an elder myself I feel the constant nudge to bring those pieces of ‘her’ to the surface so that others can share.   This blog is my ‘memory box’ for whatever those items might be.  I hope it outlives me and lets Mom’s voice linger through more years than I am able to insure.  

No comments:

Post a Comment